Formerly the north parish of Farmington, Avon was primarily a farming community
until its location at the crossroads of the Albany Turnpike and Farmington Canal
led to the emergence of a commercial center. For 20 years, travelers on the Canal
dined and slept here on their way north. Exhibits of life along the Canal are found
at the Living Museum. The 1st Co. Gov. Horse Guards, founded in 1778, is the
nation's oldest cavalry unit.